[nfb-talk] National Federation of the Blind Commends University of Illinois for Commitment to Accessible E-book Technology

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Thu Nov 19 22:37:57 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Commends University of Illinois
  for Commitment to Accessible E-book Technology

Champaign, Illinois (November 19, 2009): The National Federation of
the Blind, the oldest and largest organization of blind Americans and
a leading advocate for accessible e-book technology, today applauded
the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for publicly
announcing its commitment to purchasing e-book technology that can be
used by the blind and others with print disabilities.  The
announcement comes on the heels of news that the University of
Wisconsin-Madison and Syracuse University will not broadly deploy
Amazon's Kindle DX e-book reading device, which Amazon is marketing
as a replacement for traditional print textbooks, until the device is
fully accessible to blind students.  The Kindle DX features
text-to-speech technology that can read textbooks aloud.  The menus
of the device are not accessible to the blind, however, making it
impossible for a blind user to purchase books from Amazon's Kindle
store, select a book to read, activate the text-to-speech feature,
and use the advanced reading functions available on the Kindle DX.

In a statement issued yesterday, the University of Illinois said in
part: "Quite apart from our legal obligations, we at Illinois believe
that our technology choices should be shaped by our institutional
values and aspirations.  We will not embrace technologies that
undercut our commitment to accessibility.  We will instead apply our
ingenuity to technologies that enable everyone to participate more
fully in society.

"Like our colleagues at Wisconsin and Syracuse, we recognize the
groundbreaking potential that read-aloud features have for making
textbooks accessible to students with disabilities.  Sadly, that
potential can't be realized until vendors of e-book readers, like the
Kindle, add accessible read-aloud menus and basic navigation to their
products."

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "As publishers and e-book reading device manufacturers
increasingly tout the e-book as a replacement for the printed
textbook, it is critical that no artificial barriers be placed in the
way of access to this exciting new technology by blind
students.  E-books are inherently accessible, and it is relatively
easy to make e-book reading devices accessible as well.  The National
Federation of the Blind therefore commends the University of Illinois
and other universities for taking the position that e-book technology
must be accessible to all students, including the blind."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please visit our
Web site: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org.