[nfb-talk] [NFB-talk] New List for Blind Conservatives

RyanO ryano218 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 00:36:26 UTC 2010

Hi all. First, I want to publicly thank Dave Andrews for going out on a limb
and posting my message to this and other lists about my discussion forum.
Honestly, I didn't think he'd do it and based on a few of the public and
private messages I've received, I can see why.

I acknowledge that the NFB is not a partisan organization and that issues
involving blindness should remain at our core. If those issues happen to
intersect with the political process in this country (and they often do),
then we should approach them in the same bipartisan manner as we do with
every other issue.

The debate over various socio/political causes being incorporated into
divisions and committees in the federation has been discussed since the
'70's, and possibly before. Dr. Jernigan and other leaders have been very
wise to keep the focus solely on issues involving blindness as it affects us
all in this country. I don't disagree, and that's why I want to reinforce
the point that my list is not an official NFB list. The creation of my list
was my idea alone and does not come at the behest of any leader of the NFB.
Dave simply allowed me to use these NFB lists as a vehicle to make others
aware of the existence of my forum.

Judging by the response I've received, I did the right thing in creating my
list. A few people have written to me and said that such a list is not
necessary and that I should keep my eye on the ball of blindness, as it
were. Others have chided me for being a hypocrite for being a blind
conservative in the first place. Still others have taken shots at the
Republican party in general. This aside, the overwhelming response to my
announcement thus far has been positive. There has been a common theme
running through the messages of support and requests to join that I have
received. People are continuously telling me that they thought they were
alone and that they didn't realize there were other likeminded blind people
out there who believe as they do. If my forum serves as a network for
support and nothing else, its worth my time and effort.

We can wish all day long for the blind from all political perspectives to
put aside their political differences and come together to work for the
common good. Personally, I don't believe this is any more realistic than
expecting the NFB and ACb to join forces. We have an inherent conflict of
visions in this country, whether we are Federation or Council, conservative
or liberal, Republican or Democrat. The Federation has been successful
because we've achieved a common focus, but the fact remains that an official
from the McCain campaign declined an invitation to come speak at our meeting
in 2008 because they felt that Obama was ahead on the issues of
disabilities. That tells me that, whether intentional or not, the NFB failed
to reach out to both sides of the political aisle. We could blame our
leadership or we could blame the Republicans, but I choose to move forward
and see that such a thing does not happen again in the current election
cycle, in the 2012 election or in any political election of consequence in
the future. My list is certainly not a cure-all for the problem, but it may
be a beginning. If we blind conservatives want an equal voice in the
political arena, we have to work for it.

Finally, let me reassert that anyone is welcome on my list, no matter what
their political orientation. The discussion will be civil and respectful, if
not spirited. If you would like more information, please Email me privately
and I'll be glad to talk with you.

Thank you for reading this.

RyanO