[nfb-talk] blind and wanting to improve things, not get labeled

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 23 14:32:21 UTC 2010

Yeah, you're talking about repealing Glass-Steagal (sp?). But I don't
believe that was the main cause of the banking crisis. After all, other
countries had their own banking crisises  and they never had Glass-Steagal
in the first place.

What happened was that the amount of money in the world available for
investments doubled in a 10 year span from approximately 1997 to 2007.
That's why banks had all this money to give to people for their mortgages.
If you're wondering where all this money came from to give people half
million dollar mortgages, it came mostly from China and India.

You might wonder why we'd care if investors from China and Indai lose
everything they invested in American mortgages. Well, there's that old
credit default swap thing.  Banks selling the CDOs also sold CDSs. That's
really what brought AIG down. Of course, a lot of American banks and hedge
funds were heavily invested in CDOs too. So it wasn't just people in China
and India who got burned when the housing bubble burst, it was people all
over the world who owned CDOs. But the real culprit in the crisis was the
credit default swaps.  Banks sold CDOs to people in China and India but they
also sold them CDSs. For an extra few points, you could ensure that your
investment in the CDO didn't lose money. You might not make as much but you
couldn't lose. Its called hedging and smart investors do it all the time.
Hence the term "hedge fund".

Congress is working on a bill to regulate derivatives like credit default
swaps. There are lots of kinds of derivatives besides credit default swaps
and Congress is working on a bill to regulate them. Who knows if it will
have any teeth. Probably not.

Anyway, all this is why I say I don't think repealing Glass-Steagal was the
primary cause of the banking crisis. If it hadn[t been CDOs, it would have
been something else. The banking crisis had a lot of causes but number one
on my list is probably that derivatives weren't regulated. Still aren't.