[nfb-talk] Extra Tax Exemption

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 06:21:44 UTC 2010

I see no reason a blind person would "need" either a double or single room,
because of blindness that is.  I personally liked having roommates.  But
there were also years when I paid for a single room. When I got into my big
accident (won't bore you with the details) I needed a nurse's aid liing with
me for a few months, and that required me to get a double room and pay for
my dorm mate to work as an aide.  But that is another situation altogether.
Blindness alone had no effect on need for a particular living arrangement.
Now you know what's really fun is when you mislay something and can't find
it and you have a little thought in the back of your head that your roommate
or someone with her had something to do with its appearance, but you say
nothing because you know that in all probability it was you who mislaid it.
Now I found that 99.99% of the time I was right in saying nothing and
letting the matter go. It is not worth damaging a good relationship by
making accusations.
On the other hand, I had a friend in a wheelchair down the hall who also had
an aid. She was not blind, but her aid was the cleptomaniac aide from
hell -- left her high and dry one day by disappearing, so my friend (who was
quadroplegic) had to find a new aid, then discover that her aide had stolen
all her cash and her bank card, went on a shopping spree with the card and
disappeared. She had also not stopped there, but went down the hall and
stole from everyone who left their door open.
So we all have our trials in life.
That's one I would hate to have.
Count your blessings.
--le