[nfb-talk] my ideas for ending SSI & SSDI

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 28 15:07:34 UTC 2010

Well, technically, these are not ideas for ending SSI and SSDI.

1. Companies should get tax credits for hiring someone on SSI or SSDI equal
to the amount the person would have received if they'd stayed on SSI or
SSDI. The tax credit could last for one year, two years, three -- whatever
it takes. Note that this idea is revenue neutral. Of course, someone would
have to be on SSI or SSDI in order to go off SSI or SSDI this way. So my
idea doesn't do away with SSI and SSDI. But we don't really want to do that
anyway because some people simply cannot work and can never come off SSI or
SSDI.

2. Waive minimum wage laws for people on SSI or SSDI for 2 or 3 years after
they are hired.  The disabled person would continue to get SSI or SSDI while
they're working because they'd only be making $1 an hour (or whatever).