[nfb-talk] my ideas for ending SSI & SSDI

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Apr 28 18:09:30 UTC 2010

John,

Whether it is right or wrong, I have found it to be a very human feeling not to consider a job that pays little to be as serious as one paying the true wage.  Sure,
persons seeking employment should have the long view in mind, but that's easier said than done.  While the tax credit idea is interesting, for many companies, the
credit would have to be substantial before it would be worth their time to do the paperwork.  In the case of a larger corporation, it likely wouldn't provide any
appreciable insentive.

I think that one thing that should be done is that some of the costs of specialized equipment should be returned to the government.  In some cases, we are more
expensive to hire, and while an employer benefits from the work we do as long as we are capable, the employer does not gain any particular benefit because we are
blind.  Society does gain, though, by the fact that we move off SSI and we start paying taxes.  I think it was Germany that used to have a tax on all employers that
was used to maintain a fund for buying adaptive equipment.  That made some sense to me, although I don't know what has happened to that in more recent years.

We also have to continue efforts to increase the accessibility of software in the workplace.  If one works in the private sector, this can be a tricky business.  This
takes education and possibly additional laws, but it is a hard sell.

Another area that needs to be addressed indirectly is transportation.  When I started working, somewhere back when you started, it was reasonable to locate near
one's work, and of course, this needs to remain a consideration.  However, this is becoming more difficult all the time as more households have two people working,
rarely at the same place, and one changes jobs or even careers more often now.  I don't have a good answer to this.  I know that paratransit works for some people,
but it has been a real pain for others.  I am fortunate to work for a company that is very dedicated to encouraging carpooling and vanpooling, but participation has
dropped greatly because of families having both parents working requiring more flexibility in arrival and departure time as parents share the job of picking up kids from
school or daycare.

These are the kinds of things that I see keeping people on SSI and to some degree SSDI, and need addressing.  We are trying to address some of these within the
NFB, but I think getting the government back into providing equipment across the board is going to be a tough sell for now.  I also see accessibility of software for
employment to be complicated.  In some jobs, the software can't just be accessible in the normal sense, it has to be efficient for the blind person.  This isn't always
easy to tackle.  Software can change so rapidly now that to add the kind of time to figure how to make it efficient for us probably would fall into the "undue burden"
language of some laws.  Still, we have to keep pushing in that direction.

Finally, and this is where I agree with the caution expressed about entitlement, I have talked with blind students who come into the job market assuming there will be
a disabled employees office just like a disabled student's office to make sure that everything they need in terms of accessible documents and such are handed to
them.  They don't know how to get through a course by working with a reader or a co-worker to understand something that may not be accessible and then work
with the accessibility issues later.  To work successfully, we have to have tools of our own, and sometimes it even means working some extra.  We have to realize
that if we spend half a day scanning a document that we need but that nobody else has to scan, it means that our employer didn't get what they were paying for
durint that time.  Of course, nobody works every second, so one has to learn what they can squeeze in and what has to be handled some other way.  Sometimes
employers are good about such things in order to encourage diversity among their staff.  This can be a tough transition for many now, moreso than it was for those of
us who had to develop some of these skills in college.  I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any help for students, but college is also a time to develop some of the
skills one might need later on the job.

To me, these are the kinds of things that will reduce the dependence on SSDI and SSI, far more than trying to change the funds themselves.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson