[nfb-talk] Way-finding devices for buildings

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 20 15:35:06 UTC 2010

This is kind of OT but...

I believe a dog's inner compass and map are better than a human's. I
happened to meet a person who specializes in brain biology here at the
University of Wisconsin. I mentioned that even though I think I have a
pretty good sense of direction, I think my guide dog has a way better one.
She said that although she wasn't aware of any research into it, she
wouldn't be surprised. There's no reason to think that the part of the brain
responsible for mapping your surroundings is more developed in a human than
in a dog. That part of the brain might be more developed in a dog than in a
human.

I suspect it probably is because my guide dog has an unbelievable sense of
direction and ability to remember places. It would be easy to test. Get a
group of humans and a group of dogs to learn a maze.  A week later, see
which group remembers the maze better. Honestly, I'd bet on the dogs.