[nfb-talk] Question of Philosophy- fund raising

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 03:54:30 UTC 2010

There are still sighted "pan handlers" asking strangers for money in the big
cities.  It is actually a big problem that a blind person wouldn't see and
which I wouldn't have known about unless my friends and family told about
them.  (Sure, they are in the news, but people pass them commuting to work.)
What one friend of mine said about the problem in NY is that rather than
hand them cash, which he knew might go for drugs or alcohol, he would
sometimes invite one to join him for a meal at McDonald's. Then he would get
the know the person.
Anyway, with all the support available nowadays, a blind person would be
less likely to end up on the street than a sighted person with less
identifiable problems.
It's kind of funny -- in the condo where we lived in NC a few years ago,
there were panhandlers lined up near the intersection nearby.  One of them
came up to the car and asked for money (not a scary guy, just someone with a
problem).  I gave him something for a meal.  So I had the white cane and he
was taking the money.   Kind of a strange twist that is not unusual in this
crazy society.
--le