[nfb-talk] Enough already!

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:05:34 UTC 2010

David,

Have you noticed the trend of discussions on this list over the past
couple of years or so?  I have, and I’ve double-checked the archives
to be sure I wasn’t reading something into it.  The pattern is that
every large discussion seems to involve one group of people arguing
for the ability of the blind, for the NFB, its policies, and its
mission.  The other side of the discussion is generally one person.

The pattern of the discussion is that the individual says something
incendiary against one of the above, something I have a hard time
accepting is unintentional at this point.  The group reacts, some
with distaste, some with disagreement, and some with anger.  This
last group has taken the bait, if you will.

This is where you come in, because inevitably the individual insists
that he is “offended” and “baselessly attacked” for his views.  You
defend him, going so far as to threaten to ban longtime regulars and
well-respected federationists.  The individual takes this as a sign
that he may stand behind you, and continue to insult not only us few
here, but everything this organization stands for.

The fact that there is not a single person on this list that does not
know of whom I speak is evidence in and of itself.  It’s really got
to stop.  Those who would not be flamed should not make a habit of
setting fires.  Having set a few myself over the years, it comes with
the territory.

Joseph