[nfb-talk] {Disarmed} Fw: Hybrid Cars, Transportation:

Kenneth Chrane kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 22 22:23:01 UTC 2010

 ?letterdate ?
----- Original Message -----
From: Senator Ben Cardin - Do not reply to this message
To: kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: Hybrid Cars, Transportation:

Dear Mr. Chrane:

Thank you for sharing your support for the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 2010, S. 3302.  As a member of the Senate Environment and Public Works Subcommittee on Transportation and Infrastructure, I believe that the safety of our roads and highways should be a high priority and I support the goals of this legislation.

Senator John D. Rockefeller IV (D-WV) introduced the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 2010 this May which includes many of the key components of S. 841.  In response to dangerous malfunctions and defects in certain motor vehicles, this bill aims to enact numerous provisions to improve vehicle safety. It would strengthen vehicle electronics and safety standards, increase accessibility to vehicle safety information, hold manufacturers more accountable, and provide the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) with more funding and authority.  S.3302 recently passed out of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation and now awaits floor action.

I have long supported legislation that would increase the safety of motor vehicles and protect pedestrians from accidents. This Congress, I proudly cosponsored the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (S.841).  This important bill would direct the Secretary of Transportation to study and to report to Congress on the minimum level of sounds that is necessary to be emitted from a motor vehicle to alert blind and other pedestrians to the presence of operating vehicles while traveling

Again, thank you for contacting me with regards to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.  Please do not hesitate to do so in the future regarding this or any other matter of importance to you.