[nfb-talk] Fw: Forget Gum. Walking and Using Phone Is Risky

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 25 15:49:05 UTC 2010

Below is a copy of an article someone forwarded to meabout how dangerous it
is to walk and use your cell phone. The reason I'm forwarding it is that I
wwork on the campus of the University of Wisconsin and I can confirm that
this is a problem. Over the past few years, the number of collisions with
other pedestrians that I have experienced has increased dramatically. Almost
without exception, when I have a collision with someone, they're talking on
a cell phone or listening to an ipod.  Last summer I was hit by a girl on a
bicycle. She got knocked down and at first I was very apologetic. But then
on-lookers told me that she was talking on a cell phone when she hit me. So
she was riding her bike on a crowded sidewalk and talking on her cell phone.
In retrospect, I think she was lucky she didn't hurt me.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 8:32 AM
Subject: Forget Gum. Walking and Using Phone Is Risky