[nfb-talk] Bard

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 13 13:28:11 UTC 2010

Oh, yeah. I think the biggest difference is the size and/or weight. Its not
like the digital player is tiny but its way smaller and lighter than the old
tape player. You can actually walk around the house listening to a book. The
tape player NLS sent me has been on my nightstand for years. I haven't moved
it for years because its just too big to carry around. But the digital
player even has a couple of recessed bars for a shoulder strap (not
included). I put a strap on mine and walked around this morning listening to
a book.  Because its electronic, there's no need to worry about jostling
the thing while a book is playing either. The voice is crystal clear. Its a
beautiful thing.

I'm sending my tape player back tomorrow along with the book on tape I am in
the middle of.  I'm just going to download the book from bard and take up
where I left off.

PS: I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a book club. I
am currently reading Arthur  Slessenger's "A Thousand Days". Its his
Pulitzer Prize winning account of the Kennedy administration. I wouldn't
actually recommend that book though. Too hard. But that's why I want to
start a book club. I'm looking for entertaining but serious books and could
use some suggestions.