[nfb-talk] Explanation of traffic lights and pedestrian signals

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu May 27 16:19:48 UTC 2010

Steve, you'll have to be more specific in your criticism of the links I've
provided. It is obviously impossible for me to respond to this vague
criticism that the links I provided don't document my claims.

And it is absolutely true that no documentation of the claim that audible
walk signals are hazardous to the blind has been presented on this list or
in the Braille monitor articles I have sighted. If I had seen any
documentation of that claim, I'd have mentioned it. But I can't because that
claim, made many times on this list and in the Braille Monitor has never
been documented as far as I can tell. As far as I can tell, the assertion
that audible walk signals are hazardous to blind pedestrians is nothing but
supposition.

The only way opposition to audible walk signals makes sense is if they
somehow do make it harder for blind people to cross streets.  Otherwise, it
would obviously be desirable to give blind people access to the same
information provided to sighted people for their safety when crossing
streets.  You're not going to deny the usefulness of walk signals in genearl
are you? But unlike the claim that audible walk signals are hazardous, a
great deal of research has gone  into finding out which audible signals are
easiest to hear, interfere with traffic noise the least, and are most easily
localized by blind people. Some of the studies sited in the article on the
Access Board web site go back to the early 1980s.

The reasoning behind the NFB's opposition to audible walk signals would deny
the usefullness of visible walk signals.  You think that cities around the
globe are putting these things up on a whim? Yes, of course blind people can
cross streets without audible walk signals. But sighted people can cross
streets without visible walk signals. Its just that we're all safer when we
have a walk signal. So unless people can document the claim that audible
signals make blind people less safe, it is perfectly reasonable for me not
to give any credibility to that claim.

You say its easy for me to claim that all the facts are on my side. Well,
its easy for you to deny it. But it doesn't even matter because anyone can
research this issue for themselves. You do't have to take my word for these
things. You have access to google don't you?