[nfb-talk] Traffic Signals was [john at johnheim.com: unethicalpersonal attacks]

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri May 28 22:33:29 UTC 2010

Steve,

First a question ... : Has the NFB changed its position since 2002?  Are you
saying that if the Access Board were to try again to require ABS everywhere
there are visible walk signals, the NFB would be okay with that? Because if
so, then I'd be satisfied.

People keep telling me that the NFB isn't categorically against audible walk
signals. Well, I can believe that and I never said otherwise. What I'm
saying is that in 2002, the NFB failed to take a moderate approach. If the
NFB saw problems with the Access Board's recommendations in 2002, they could
have worked with the Access Board to work out a compromise. Instead they
organized a protest complete with picket signs, slogans, and chanting.

My attempt to get an answer to the question, "If audible walk signals save
lives, shouldn't the NFB be fighting for them," is an honest attempt to
resolve the apparent contradiction in what people are saying the official
policy is and what the NFB did in 2002.

Look, its very simple... If we can agree that if APS saves lives, then we
can probably agree that the NFB should work for a compromise solution -- not
just accept a compromise but work *for* it. If APS saves lives, then the NFB
would probably want to advocate the installation of these devices in many
locations.
And if we could agree on that, we'd have worked the miracle of finding
common ground.