[nfb-talk] Fw: Implanted chip 'allows blind people to detect objects'

Mike Bullis mabullis at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 7 02:38:42 UTC 2010

Allow me to Engage in a bit of speculation for a moment.  Let's change the
issue.
Suppose that tomorrow somebody developed a new augmentation for hearing.
Suppose it allowed you to hear in an expanded range--say 5 hertz to 40,000
hertz.  Let's further suppose that it allowed you a very increased ability
to locate objects with your hearing.  Say that you could locate an object at
a half mile within a foot or two if it was making the noise of a buzzing fly
or thereabouts.
Ok, ok, so, there are complications.  But, suppose you could adequately
filter what you hear, removing, or at least attenuating, sounds that you
didn't want to hear and hearing the ones you did want to hear.  For example.
There's a large semi tractor and trailor right next to you and you're at an
intersection.  With this new discriminating hearing, you could completely
attenuate the sound of the truck and hear what's going on for blocks around,
smoothly creating a sound picture of the landscape.

I believe you would accept the device without hesitation if there were no
risks or major disruptions to your normal life.  Actually, I believe you
would most likely accept it even if it disrupted your life, so long as you
saw a long term benefit to your ability to travel.  And, let's be honest.
The learning of the long cane or guide dog has caused it's own set of
disruptions to our lives--causing us to have to take time away from school
or work to learn.  So, the techniques we now have are not without
complexity, risk, or a lack of disruption.  And, the techniques we now have
still don't protect us from overheads and still can't detect quiet cars.
So, there is room for improvement.

Having posed this situation, I speculate that the reason for so much
discussion about the chip that provides sight is that it is sight.  If it
were hearing we wouldn't have nearly the controversy.

I agree with Dave.  As I said earlier.  Having vision would be a hoot.
Should the opportunity to see come my way, I'd take it, if the benefits
outweighed the potential risks or side effects.  I also learned much from
the real life story of Marsha Drenth.  She truly faced the choice and sounds
like she learned hard lessons.

No, I don't live my life mourning the lack of sight.  On the other hand,
what fun it might be.
And, who knows, with my alternative techniques I might be able to use sight
in ways other sighted folks don't.  It might actually make me a "better than
sighted person."  Ok, Ok, maybe not.
But, again, what an experience.
Mike