[nfb-talk] Fw: Penn State - NFB Files complaint against

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Mon Nov 15 20:12:31 UTC 2010

Wow... I don't remember seeing a notice about this on this list.  This is
huge.

I work for the University of Wisconsin and I don't remember ever seeing them
choose to not buy a system because its inaccessible.  I've been here about
20 years and in that time they've probably implemented dozens of systems
even though they were inaccessible. I don't think they ever even delayed
rolling out a new system because it had accessibility problems.  So putting
some teeth into the ADA and 508 regulations is a big, big deal.

I've think I've talked before on this list about why Apple developed
voiceOver. They were having trouble selling Macintosh's to universities
because there was no screen reader. I don't necessarily want to take
anything away from Apple but they didn't exactly develope their screen
reader out of the goodness of their hearts. It was a business decision. Its
an example of what can happen if accessibility laws and regulations are
enforced. Another good example is the kindle. All blind people will benefit
from the kindle being made accessible and that was the result of lawsuits
against universities.

So this is a terrific  strategy. You can force software companies to make
their products accessible by taking away the educational market.

Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 1:40 PM
Subject: Penn State - NFB Files complaint against