[nfb-talk] is Braille the great equalizer

Patrick Gormley kk3f at msn.com
Sat Nov 27 00:23:17 UTC 2010

As a fluent Braille reader, I can tell you as I grow older, I lean on my
Braille skills more and more.  I will also tell you that one of the fringe
benefits of being in the nfb as long as I have been, you learn new
techniques that I've implemented to increase my Braille reading speed most
notably an article published in the Braille Monitor in the 70's by Dr.
Jernigan in which he suggested some approaches he used to increase his
speed.  There were some articles written by Jerry Whittle on this same
subject.  I picked up those techniques such as dividing lines and using both
hands  while reading.  I've regularly read at 260 wpm and at times  have
read as fast as 330 but my comprehension suffers a bitso a good reading
speed for me is about 250 to 260. The short answer is Braille is just as
important to the blind as print is to the sighted.