[nfb-talk] Fwd: Desire2Learn Attains National Federation of the Blind Nonvisual Accessibility Gold Level Web Certification

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 06:03:44 UTC 2010

I am reposting this post as an example of what can be done when email is
forwarded with the use of free software that cleans up all of the
unnecessary > signs that appeared in forwarded email. The link to the
program is at the bottom of my repost. For screen reader users the > signs
are a nuisance and I would think that NFB being the innovative organization
that it is would take such factors in to account.
Chuck

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen John McLeod

Director of Public Relations Director of Marketing National Federation of
the Blind Desire2Learn

(410) 659-9314, extension
2330                                   (519) 772-0325, ext. 378

(410) 262-1281
(Cell) <mailto:PR at Desire2Learn.com>PR at Desire2Learn.com
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Desire2Learn Attains National Federation of the Blind Nonvisual
Accessibility Gold Level Web Certification

Baltimore, Maryland/ Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario/Anaheim, California
(October 12, 2010): The <http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Default.asp>National
Federation of the Blind (NFB), one of the world's leading advocates for
Internet access by blind Americans, and
<http://www.desire2learn.com/>Desire2Learn Incorporated (Desire2Learn), a
leading provider of mission-critical enterprise eLearning solutions,
announced today that Desire2Learn has been awarded the Gold Level NFB-NVA
Certification for Desire2Learn® Learning Suite 9.1.

Working with members of the technology community, the NFB has developed a
rigorous evaluation and testing procedure by which Web sites and
applications that have made special efforts to be accessible to the blind
can be identified and recognized.  Nonvisual accessibility (NVA)
certification, as defined in this process, means that screen access software
can obtain sufficient information from the Web application to enable the
blind user to:

§       Access information in narratives, databases, forms, charts, maps,
and essential information conveyed via graphical presentations without
visual assistance.

§       Complete transactions that have been identified as primary to the
application such as, but not limited to: buying merchandise, completing
forms, registering for activities, downloading information, communicating
with others, and participating in online educational programs.

Once the site or application has addressed all accessibility issues, it is
granted the right to display an NFB-NVA certification seal on its site.
Sites are continuously monitored to ensure that they remain compliant with
certification criteria.  If a site remains accessible, its certification is
renewed on an annual or a version basis.  Further information on the NFB-NVA
certification process can be found at <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind commends Desire2Learn for ensuring
equal access to its platform and demonstrating a tangible commitment to
equal education for everyone.   If blind students are to succeed in the
modern education system, they must have access to the same technology that
is used by their sighted peers.  Desire2Learn incorporates that assurance in
its platform."

With this certification, institutions have external verification of the
Desire2Learn commitment to accessibility.  Institutions with concern
ensuring legal obligations regarding accessibility are addressed within the
learning management system (LMS), can also reference this certification.

"We commend Desire2Learn for the extraordinary progress made in ensuring the
accessibility of its eLearning management application," said Anne Taylor,
director of access technology for the NFB.  "We look forward to continuing
our collaboration with this forward-thinking company to advance equal access
to all aspects of online learning for the more than 100,000 blind students
across <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />North America."

Desire2Learn regularly tests its products with individuals with
disabilities.  These sessions aid in understanding and experiencing the
problems encountered.  The resulting design solutions are often those that
would not have been found through accessibility checkers alone.

"We are thrilled to have been honored with this significant award from the
NFB and thank the access technology team for their assistance in helping us
obtain this important certification," said John Baker, President and CEO of
Desire2Learn.  "At Desire2Learn we share our clients' goal of providing
equal and inclusive learning opportunities to all individuals.  We work
closely with our clients to develop comprehensive solutions that are
flexible to the individual needs of institutions, instructors and students.
Accessibility is not a checklist at Desire2Learn; it is a deep,
long-standing and ongoing commitment to empower and engage all individuals
in their learning goals."

Compliance and exceptions with state laws and international standards, such
as early adoption of ARIA markup, are reported openly so decision makers and
content creators have the information they need to work effectively with
their instructors and students.

Baker continued: "Desire2Learn is appreciative of all opportunities to learn
from and work with such groups as the NFB.  We look forward to continuing to
build a strong partnership with the NFB as we collaborate to ensure we
persist in our proactive approach to going well beyond minimum standards.
Desire2Learn's attention to accessibility breaks down barriers to education
and improves human potential.  It is an organization-wide mandate to support
accessible, inclusive education and is a critical element in all our
research and development efforts.  We are committed to ensuring we are the
industry leader in this very important field."

Desire2Learn and NFB are providing a hands-on accessibility presentation at
EDUCAUSE on Wednesday, October 13 at 11:30 a.m. PT.  Details of the workshop
can be found at
<http://www.desire2learn.com/educause>www.desire2learn.com/educause.
Representatives from NFB, along with Desire2Learn accessibility experts,
will be available at the Desire2Learn booth (#1525) at EDUCAUSE this week.

Visit <http://www.desire2learn/Access>www.Desire2Learn/Access, call
1.888.772.0325 or email <mailto:Info at Desire2Learn.com>Info at Desire2Learn.com
for further information about the ongoing Desire2Learn commitment to address
accessibility in all aspects of its products and services.  To learn more
about the National Federation of the Blind, please visit
<http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004, the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

About Desire2Learn Incorporated

<http://www.desire2learn.com/>Desire2Learn Incorporated is a world-leading
provider of enterprise eLearning solutions that enable institutions and
other organizations to create teaching and learning environments that
reflect their vision, values, goals, pedagogical approaches and branding.
Desire2Learn and its subsidiaries support more than five million learners
worldwide and <http://www.desire2learn.com/clients/>clients include
<http://www.desire2learn.com/clients/higherEducation/>higher education,
<http://www.desire2learn.com/clients/k12/>K-12, as well as
<http://www.desire2learn.com/clients/corporate/>associations,
<http://www.desire2learn.com/clients/government/>government and other
leading organizations.  Founded in
1999, Desire2Learn is headquartered in Kitchener, ON, Canada with personnel
located in North America, the U.K. and Australia.  For more information,
visit: <http://www.desire2learn.com/>www.Desire2Learn.com, call
1.519.772.0325 or toll-free 1.888.772.0325
(within North America), +44 808.234.4235 (U.K. and Europe), 0.800.452.069
(New Zealand) and 1.800.656.210 (Australia).

David Andrews and long white cane Harry, dandrews at visi.com Follow me on
Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920

         David Andrews and long white cane Harry, dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920