[nfb-talk] The Google Car, what do you think?

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Wed Oct 20 13:46:46 UTC 2010

Yes, a computer  can be programmed to make value judgements .  In fact,
that's the easy part.  You create a list of everything you could possibly
run into and assign them a score. A woman carrying a baby would have a
pretty high score. A garbage can would have a very low score. The car simply
runs into the thing with the lowest score. The car would make that decision
quicker and be more likely to make the correct decision than a human.

The hard part is making it so a car can tell the difference between a woman
carrying a baby and a garbage can.