[nfb-talk] sad news from NFBF Miami Dade chapter

Rovig, Lorraine LRovig at nfb.org
Tue Sep 7 15:27:06 UTC 2010

Quiet, sane, caring, funny, a Southern Gentleman go-getter -- I have many memories of Wayne Davis of Florida. I remember hearing Wayne talk about fixing car engines with his grown son and the pride he took in his family.  I will never forget the care and thoughtfulness of President Wayne Davis and his wife Carmen when the big Hurricane Katrina hit Florida. With the phones not working, they personally found a driver willing to take them out on the tree-damaged and sometimes blocked roads to check whether diabetic members of the chapter had their insulin and could keep it cold, and whether they had enough of the right kind of food to survive while their city and country structure tried to put itself back together.  Later, when other men would be retired and sitting in the recliner, Wayne was only "retired" in quote marks. Using the materials that the NFB's former Job Opportunities for the Blind program developed to educate job hunters and employers, Wayne was personally responsible for helping blind folks get a job.

Another great Federationist and a great man, Wayne Davis will be missed.

Cordially,

Lorraine Rovig
Assistant to Patti Chang, Esq.
Chairperson, NFB Scholarship Committee
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
      at Jernigan Place
Office:  (410) 659-9314, x2415;
E-mail:  scholarships at nfb.org;
Website:  www.nfb.org/scholarships

Promote Access to Science Education for Blind Students:
Vote every day for the NFB Youth Slam in the Pepsi Refresh Project, or (easiest way) text 101913 to Pepsi (73774).