[nfb-talk] NFB-NEWSLINE® Now Available in South Carolina

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Apr 5 01:31:54 UTC 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Parnell Diggs, President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

(803) 254-3777
Parnell at sccoast.net

NFB-NEWSLINE® Now Available in South Carolina

Free Service Offers Independent News Access to
  Blind and Print-Disabled South Carolina Residents

Columbia, South Carolina (April 4, 2011): The
National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina is pleased to announce today the
availability of NFB-NEWSLINE® to all blind and
print-disabled South Carolina
residents.  NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service that
allows those who cannot read conventional
newsprint due to a visual or physical disability
to access hundreds of local and national
publications as well as job and TV listings over
the telephone or via online methods.  Using this
innovative service, individuals who would
otherwise not be able to read a newspaper can
access, at any time and at any place, the same
essential and entertaining news that their
neighbors, classmates, and colleagues enjoy.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “I believe every
blind person in America should have access to
NFB-NEWSLINE®, and I am thrilled that blind South
Carolina residents can now benefit from the
availability of this invaluable
service.  NFB-NEWSLINE® caters to the interests
of a wide variety of individuals with local and
national publications as well as job and TV
listings, allowing blind people, for the first
time ever, to read the same edifying and exciting content as their colleagues.”

Parnell Diggs, president of the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, said:
“I love knowing what’s going on in the world
around me, and NFB-NEWSLINE® affords me that
ability.  Further, I very much appreciate that
with NFB-NEWSLINE®, blind people are not
dependent on others to read the news to us;
instead, we have the same flexibility and
autonomy that any sighted person would with a
traditional print newspaper.  Finally, the news
is not what someone else decides is important;
rather, NFB-NEWSLINE® subscribers get to make the
choice of what to read and when to read it.”

James Kirby, commissioner of South Carolina’s
Commission for the Blind, said: “I am very
pleased that NFB-NEWSLINE® is available in South
Carolina, as we firmly believe that access equals
success for blind individuals.  This media
mirrors and supports the goals that the
Commission for the Blind has for the
print-disabled in that it fosters and facilitates
independence, choice, and engagement, and assists
our consumers in achieving success.  The
availability of job listings is of special
importance to our agency’s consumers, as it
offers blind people the ability to independently
access thousands of job listings from all across
the state, a most valuable tool in securing gainful employment.”

NFB-NEWSLINE®, a free service, allows those who
cannot read conventional newsprint due to a
visual or physical disability to independently
access a variety of publications as well as
customizable TV and job listings over the
telephone, on the Web, or by download to a
digital talking book player or MP3-playing
device.  Offering over three hundred
publications­including state and national
newspapers and up-to-the-minute wire feeds as
well as dozens of magazines­NFB-NEWSLINE® enables
blind and physically impaired individuals to get
the information they need, when they need it.

To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit
www.nfbnewsline.org.  Those interested in
subscribing to the service may fill out the
online application form, write to
nfbnewsline at nfb.org, or call (866) 504-7300.

###

About the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

The National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina (NFBSC) is a non-profit, private
organization of the blind working together to
improve the quality of life for all blind people
in South Carolina. In order for its influence to
be felt on a national level, the NFBSC is
affiliated with the <http://www.nfb.org/>National
Federation of the Blind, the nation's oldest and
largest organization open to all the blind. With
more than 2,000 members, the NFBSC consists of 60
affiliated organizations, 57 of which are local
chapters located throughout the state.