[nfb-talk] thoughts on the new telescopic carbon fiber cane

Ray Foret Jr rforetjr at att.net
Tue Apr 5 21:55:08 UTC 2011

I just thought I'd pop in here and give my first impressions of the new carbon fiber telescopic cane which I have just purchased.

	First, the cane comes in a nice zipper case.  IF you care for such details, this is nice I suppose; but, frankly, for me, this seems overkill.  Now for the cane itself.

the top of the cane is equipped with a string which is itself attached to a thinner string.  This thinner string is attached to a metal cap.  This cap screws on and off the top most element of the cane.  The only thing about the string attachment is that to look at it, it almost seems as though it wants to come off at the merest touch; however, it does not.  Having the screw on metal cap is a plus just on the chance that something should happen to the string.

	the next quite noticeable difference is the cane tip.  this tip; (which is so made that it will fit the standard straight cane), also serves as the stopper.  This totally illuminates the necessity for the separate stopper as in canes past.  The fit for the stopper tip is quite a tight one; but, better to have it almost too tight then not tight enough.

	At first appearance, it may seem that these differences really don't amount to much; and, were these the only differences, perhaps maybe they would not.  However, there is another quite substantial difference.  This difference does not really show itself until you actually take the cane out on to the street and start really using it seriously.  Actually, there are two differences which require serious use to show themselves.

1.  The carbon fiber which comprises the new cane must have been modified in a fairly substantive way because it feels and handles much lighter than did the previous telescopic cane.  In fact, it feels so very much lighter that you almost feel you have to make a slight effort to keep it's tip on the ground.  Whether you just tap it using the usual ark or slide the tip, the lighter feel is instantly evident.  If you are in the habit of sliding your tip; (as I am) you will note that rough street surfaces are not as hard on the new tip at all.

2.  The next quite substantive difference is this.  The cane actually stays extended.  That's right.  You did not misread what i said.  the cane actually remains extended and thus is more appropriate for serious  cane users who might have stayed away from telescopic canes of the previous generation;  owing to the tendency of the previous generation of telescopic cane to colaps even if extended as much as possible.  Even if the elements of the new telescopic cane are not extended firmly, the elements of the cane still stay extended.  Even rough street surfaces seem not to cause problems in this area.

	As for manually colapsing  the cane, it seems that with the new model, this is also easier.  No more need to bang the cane on the ground just to get all the elements callused;  well, much less need anyhow.  I have found it necessary only one time; and, were my hands not wet at the time, I'm not even sure that time would have been necessary.

Yes, the new telescopic cane is a very appropriate choice for when the time comes to replace your cane.  IF you've always tended to avoid telescopic canes before; owing to elements that don't stay extended on rough roads and so forth, I believe I can firmly assert that you can buy and use this new telescopic model with the utmost confidence.  Just one more observation.  When you are shore-lining a fence, the new tip is not prone to getting stuck in the links of the fence as you move along; unlike the standard old tip.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest, I'd say the new model of telescopic carbon fiber cane rates a 10.

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray!!!

Now a very proud and happy Mac user!!!
Skype name: