[nfb-talk] Captcha, (I've had enough!)

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Wed Apr 13 13:29:34 UTC 2011

A few months ago, the Department of Justice said that the ADA applies to web
sites. This is a big deal. Since the Department of Justice is responsible
for enforcing laws like the ADA, if the Department of Justice says the ADA
applies to web sites, then it does.  A business would have to go to court to
show that the DOJ overstepped its bounds in making that determination. But
the burden of proof would be on them. Well, anyway, the point is that
CAPTCHAs are now illegal.

IMO, this is one of the toughest issues we face. My own boss came to me
yesterday wanting to put a captcha on our web site. I had to talk really
long to get her to not do it. It was a really tough sell and I only got her
to agree on a provisional basis. If an alternate solution I came up with
doesn't work, she will probably insist on using the captcha. Her point is
that the page we want to protect simply isn't visited very often by blind
people. Its not worth the trouble to make it accessible.

I've pointed out that its a matter of principle. I've even mentioned what a
bitter thing it would be for me to install captcha software. I've pointed
out our legal responsibilities. All this makes little to no difference. All
that really matters is that captchas work. Honestly, I was sitting there
thinking of trying to write software to break captchas and sending it to
every spammer I can find.

By the way, my boss is not a bad person by any means. She is very open
minded. I just think that if you're not blind, you don't see what the
problem is.