[nfb-talk] Captcha, (I've had enough!)

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Apr 13 17:01:13 UTC 2011

Guys and gals:

Let's get real here.  John Heim is absolutely correct:  his boss may be a decent person.  But she doesn't care a farthing how CAPTCHAs affect the blind.  There aren't enough of us to truly affect offenders' bottom lines.  All webmasters want is to stop spam (something all of us can sympathize with unless we are the spammers!).  If a few thousand people are inconvenienced or shut out of sites, so what?  The Federal agency for which I work gets something like fifty thousand spam emails (yes, you heard right) each *week* and this wastes a heck of a lot of resources and bandwidth.  I'd guess its websites do also.

Fulminating and venting one's spleen in irrational outbursts avails us nothing.  Neither does writing to webmasters; we'd never be able to cover them all.  Even if we can get courts to rule that the ADA applies, I'd bet good money that Joshua's nemesis site would fall under the religious exceptions to ADA requirements.

I sympathize with everyone's indignation; I am stymied by CAPTCHA's also.  But I'm realistic enough to realize that it's an ongoing race between spammers/hackers and web developers.  CAPTCHAs certainly aren't the ultimate answer but, I submit, any solution that would allow screen-readers access will also allow spammers/hackers access.  And yes, I've used Delta Airlines wonderful alternative to the CAPTCHA available on their flights where one answers a math question.  But does this not discriminate against the learning-disabled?  And I could envision a spammer employing a Cray or other super-machine to simply sort through possible answers and brute-force its way to the solution.

My psychological defense is to figure that any website that leaves me out I don't need either.

I can see only two solutions:  build up a billion-dollar legal fund to sue every web developer or website owner (and we must figure on losing at least half the suits) or getting down to brass tacks and inventing and patenting a CAPTCHA alternative that appears convincing enough to be adopted by a majority of web developers.

Mike Freeman
sent from my iPhone

On Apr 13, 2011, at 9:26, Joshua Lester <jlester8462 at students.pccua.edu> wrote:

> I also agree.
> So, what's the holdup?
> Let's get the sighted people on this list to visit every site, (I've
> mentioned the sites on the Music Talk list,) and contact the
> Webmasters.
> Some of us can't contact them, because of the captcha.
> Blessings, Joshua
>
> On 4/13/11, Gloria Whipple <ladygloria at webband.com> wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> I agree with you all the way!
>>

>> Gloria Whipple
>> Corresponding Secretary
>> Inland Empire chapter
>> nfb of WA

>>> sites. This is a big deal. Since the Department of Justice is responsible