[nfb-talk] Captcha, (I've had enough!)

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Apr 14 14:08:15 UTC 2011

Joshua,

As you have already heard, a refreshable braille display will not help you with CAPTCHAs.  I think it is fair to say that many of us are not completely certain
the best way to go on this.  One thing that would be helpful is if someone could suggest a good resource for generating audio CAPTCHAs that we could
suggest to web sites.  Perhaps this information is commonly available, I have not really investigated, but having something specific to suggest might help.
Maybe Pete Donnahue has specifics as to what might be done without CAPTCHAs as he had indicated, but of course we're not going to get a web
developer to change their entire development approach to incorporate something.  Giving something specific to pass on to your church site might help,
though.

Joshua, there are really two types of situations where we encounter CAPTCHAs.  There is the CAPTCHA that we encounter once such as when setting up
a GMAIL account and there are those that we have to solve every time we enter a particular site.  While I believe that we need to push for a better solution,
Mike's point is well taken that sometimes getting someone to help with a one-time CAPTCHA makes more sense than letting the CAPTCHA stop you from
what you are doing.  This doesn't mean that we should assume this is good enough, but we also shouldn't let things like this stop us in our tracks.
Sometimes printing out the page with the CAPTCHA and bringing it to someone makes it easier to get help.  Obviously, you can't print out a CAPTCHA and
then use it later because it changes, but bringing to someone rather than expecting them to drop what they are doing and coming to your computer might
help.  Prioritizing your requests for help to deal with the one-time CAPTCHA with your family might make them feel more inclined to help you, and then
concentrate on getting the recurring CAPTCHAs changed.  Perhaps if you are a member of the church whose site you are dealing with, you could get an ID
an password that would let you get around the CAPTCHA.

It is a pain that we have to encounter CAPTCHAs because of spammers, we're all frustrated with that.  Thinking that we can eliminate them is just not a
practical use of time.  It has to be done on a broader scale, and frankly it is, in my opinion, like thinking we can eliminate all criminal activity so we don't have
to lock our doors.  It would be nice but it just isn't going to happen.  We have to deal with the world as it is even while we might work for a better world.

Best reagards,

Steve Jacobson