[nfb-talk] Captcha, (I've had enough!)

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Thu Apr 14 18:06:28 UTC 2011

Well, the whole point of a captcha is that is supposed to be something a
computer cannot recognize. If a computer recognizes it, then by definition,
it is not a captcha.

Yes, I think it would be a very good idea for the NFB to work toward getting
web designers to enable different authorization protocols. For example, a
site could accept a digital certificate as authorization for a download. The
web site could automatically ask the browser for a certificate and if it has
one, the download could begin. This would all be transparent to the user
once they installed a certificate on their PC.

And it doesn't have to cost the end user a penny. There is at least one
place to get free digital certificates. Its called cacert.org (see
www.cacert.org). To get an account, you have to be "assured" by 2 other
members or you have to have 2 notarized statements verifying your identity.

If more places used this kind of authorization, we could create accounts for
people at NFB conventions and show them how to install their certificates.