[nfb-talk] PC language (was: Learning Ally)

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Apr 17 03:52:26 UTC 2011

John:

I think much of the impetus for the name change
came from people who were dyslexics and have
other learning disabilities.  I think most of us
know we are blind, and accept that (smile,) and
are proud of it.  Learning Ally says it held
focus groups, but as Mike says, no one we knew was in any.

Personally I think the name change was stupid
because it doesn't really say anything, and it
throws over 60 years of branding down the drain.

However, I believe that about two thirds of
Learning Ally's users are LD, so we as blind
people aren't really driving the bus.  We were in
the name, they started it for us, and certainly
have raised money in our name, but our needs are
increasingly becoming secondary to them.

Dave