[nfb-talk] what sometimes happens to new federationists

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 17:27:10 UTC 2011

Sherri et al:

Let us remember that in that same speech, "The Nature of Independence", Dr.
Jernigan talked about the three phases of
blindness-consciousness-development.  He maintained that everyone hat to go
through "rebellious independence" before coming to "normal independence".
It is analogous to use of sleep-shades by the partially-sighted.  We
advocate this because they learn to function as totally-blind persons so
that if their sight decreases or isn't efficient for certain tasks, they
know they can function as blind persons and that this need not connote
inferiority.  In like fashion, we probably have to learn to function as
"rebelliously-independent" persons in order to gain the knowledge and
self-confidence to be able to accept help when that is most efficient yet
function without it when it is not available or desirable.

Mike