[nfb-talk] Making Our Homes Comfortable and Accessible to Blind Folks

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:46:18 UTC 2011

Mike, after all these years, you and I still think alike.
That's exactly what happened.

I'll never forget the first time my best friend came to my house and brought
another person over to meet me as well.  I thought everything was fine, and
neither person said anything.  I did notice they left fairly early though.
You see, it was beginning to get dark, and this living room is very dimly
lit, so without lamps, it's pretty dark here.  Well, I had no idea that the
bulbs in the two lamps had burned out.  It wasn't till later that my friends
joked around with me and I heard comments like, "It's always dark at Jim's
house."
>From that time on, I learned about lights and that we do live in a sighted
world.  How embarrassing to make such an impression on someone.  Of course,
that other person has become a great friend as well, but to this day, that
first impression lasts.
Jim