[nfb-talk] Making Our Homes Comfortable and Accessible toBlind Folks

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 19 18:35:39 UTC 2011

Dear All,

The subject has come up a couple of times about lights being turned on or
off and blind people not knowing.
You can purchase some special switches that replace the regular wall
switches or dimmers, that have a sensor in them that senses the body heat of
a person, when they walk in the room and turns on the lights.  It also turns
them off a minute or two after you walk out.
They really save energy because it turns the lights off when not needed
based on the presents of someone in the room or not.
You can even get timers to turn on lights inside or outside your home too.
Having lights on outside your house, and inside for that matter, discourages
break ins and intruders as they don't want to be seen and lights being on
can make that very possible.
You can get a sensor switch with a solar cell in it that turns the lights
on, as darkness falls, and turns them off as the sun comes up so you don't
have to worry about remembering to turn them on or off.
Now as to wiring these switches.  The wires that are already there should
work just fine, but who ever does the changing of the switches should know
what they are doing.
I have only light and shadow vision now and can still do the wiring in my
own home.  I have had lots of experience in working with electricity and
know how to do it.  The only thing I have to do is identify the colors of
the wires and make sure the electricity is off.
I start by turning on everything electrical in the room and then turn off
the circuit breakers, one at a time, until all of the electrical stuff is
off and not running.  I double check this fact with a "growler by touching
the contacts of the wall switch I plan on removing.
Once it am sure there is no electric current present, I remove the switch
from the wall and disconnect the wires.  I then take the new switch and
reconnect the wires to the lugs on the new switch and replace the new switch
into the wall and put on the new wall switch cover.
Now I can turn all of the electricity back on to the room at the circuit
breakers and test my new switch.  I even have a outside light, by my front
door that will turn on the light by the door, any time someone walks within
20 feet of the door and you can even attach a bell/buzzer to it to sound
inside the house to let you know someone is there outside, when the light
goes on.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.