[nfb-talk] [Nfbnet-members-list] President Signs Pedestrian Safety EnhancementAct

Lisa Kidder lisa.akidder at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:55:37 UTC 2011

Can someone please send me the link to this article so i can post
it on facebook lisa

President Signs Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act

Washington, D.C.  (January 5, 2011): The National Federation of
the
Blind today commended President Barrack Obama for signing into
law
the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (S.  841), which will
protect
the blind and other pedestrians from injury as a result of silent
vehicle technology.

"The National Federation of the Blind is pleased that this
critical
legislation has been signed into law, preserving the right to
safe
and independent travel for the blind," said Dr.  Marc Maurer,
President of the National Federation of the Blind.  "The blind,
like
all pedestrians, must be able to travel to work, to school, to
church, and to other places in our communities, and we must be
able
to hear vehicles in order to do so.  This law, which is the
result of
collaboration among blind Americans, automobile manufacturers,
and
legislators, will benefit all pedestrians for generations to come
as
new vehicle technologies become more prevalent.  We look forward
working with the Department of Transportation throughout the
regulatory process."

Because blind pedestrians cannot locate and evaluate traffic
using
their vision, they must listen to traffic to discern its speed,
direction, and other attributes in order to travel safely and
independently.  Other people, including pedestrians who are not
blind, bicyclists, runners, and small children, also benefit from
hearing the sound of vehicle engines.  New vehicles that employ
hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent, rendering
them
extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and pedestrians
come
into proximity with each other.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the
Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of
blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's
lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of
the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center
in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please visit
our
Web site: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org.