[nfb-talk] Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

Ryan O ryano218 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 23:02:27 UTC 2011

Joe, with respect to the article itself, Brian is correct as far as he goes.
Human beings always tend to turn a rose-colored eye to their own personal
past. It seems to be an instinctive way of coping with the current
environment as you age. I can't stand any of the modern music you hear in
today's mainstream pop culture. The auto tuner has been the death knell of
talent, no matter what the genre. Yet, was the pop music of my youth any
better? I think so. Others who are younger than I do not.

The same goes for parenting. I certainly don't think my parents did a bad
job. I think they did a better job than today's current crop. If I were to
ask them, my mom and dad might say their parents did a better job than did
they, even though this isn't true.

As for the competing cultures, most of them tend to play up the positive
aspects of their own while also playing up the negatives of others. I do
know this. The children of the greatest generation did have a lot of
hang-ups, as Brian puts it, but the self-esteem based parenting of the baby
boom generation isn't working either. But blaming it on one specific cause
would be like claiming that Hitler was the cause of World War II. It's
popular to say and think it, but it ain't so. World War II was caused by a
culmination of factors. Hitler merely put the match to the powder and set
off the bomb.

Bad parents aren't the only reason why our culture suffers. They aren't the
only reason why the unemployment rate of blind people still hovers around 70
percent; if that's what it really is. Sometime, I'd like to see some
concrete statistics to back up our battle cry at banquets and conventions.

Anyway, we're in trouble because of lax parenting, a crumbling education
system, the lack of personal responsibility, the lack of a real will to do
anything about it...the list goes on and on.

I'm not the guy to come up with the solutions. I'll leave that to the big
thinkers in Baltimore. What I do know is that, until something major
changes, we're going to stay in our rut. What needs to change? Hell if I
know.

RyanO