[nfb-talk] Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Tue Jan 18 03:47:06 UTC 2011

	Hi Joe,

The problem is that parenting is no more a constant than any of the other
variables we've referenced -- school, teachers, peers, social barriers,
legal or extra-legal discrimination,  ethnicity, language -- pick your
poison, they all play a part.

I tend to side with your former teacher, though, in that without an internal
spark there is little hope for an individual, all the parenting and teaching
notwithstanding.  All the things I've accomplished in life, if I can be said
to have accomplished anything, I did because I really wanted to make those
things happen... Not a sufficient, but certainly a necessary variable in the
equation of success.

I once participated in a roundtable discussion with a dozen or so other
blind guys who would all be described as successful, at least in terms most
people would recognize, and not a one could identify that magic ingredient
of success despite the odds -- except that they really wanted to achieve
something, that they were self-motivated, self-driven.  Now, it's possible,
indeed probabhly likely that something or someone in their past got their
little engines started, and that it is simply too difficult to disentangle
which of the many threads in their life was the one that tied it all
together for them, and they [we] are left with only what we know, which is
ourselves, and what we perceive as our own drive, or in some cases, lack of
it.

The challenge is that we always want simple answers for life's tough
questions, and there just aren't any -- and that's the hardest thing of all.

Brian Miller