[nfb-talk] National Federation of the Blind Comments on Rejection of Google Books Settlement

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Tue Mar 22 21:17:31 UTC 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Comments
on Rejection of Google Books Settlement

Baltimore, Maryland (March 22, 2011): Dr. Marc Maurer, President of
the National Federation of the Blind, said: "The National Federation
of the Blind supports access by the blind to the vast amount of
knowledge contained in the millions of books available throughout the
world, and we believe that the Google Books settlement is one way to
achieve that access.  For that reason, we are disappointed that the
court has rejected the settlement.  We will analyze the decision
carefully and then determine our future course."

On September 10, 2009, the National Federation of the Blind
<http://www.nfb.org/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=466>testified before the
House Judiciary Committee that the proposed settlement between Google
and authors and publishers regarding the Google Books project should
be approved.  The Google Books settlement would have made millions of
titles available to the blind and other Americans with print
disabilities, providing more access to the printed word than the
blind have had in all of human history.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.