[nfb-talk] An idea, to discuss, at 2012 convention

Alex heyitslu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:50:19 UTC 2011

Good luck Marsha!  Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you
as well.  I think one thing we all could and probably should do is
write up our stories.  True we might be in different states, but they
might be helpful when beginning the process of talking with
legislators.

I agree that in 2011 we should not be dealing with this issue.  I also
was floored last year when I tried to schedule an initial visit for a
pregnancy and was denied an appointment because I am blind.  I realize
some on this list are about to blast me for disclosing that I am blind
to a receptionist to schedule a visit to the obgyn, but I wanted to
make sure I had a doctor who had a clue about blindness and would
realize that I am a capable human being who is more than able to rear
children without me having to educate him.  It was the obgyn
coordinator who would not schedule the visit because she was not sure
that I was responsible enough to come to my appointments, thought I
would need someone to come with me, could not conceive of how I might
navigate the building to get to the office or the examination room,
and wondered if I would need assistance getting undressed and dressed.
 I did not receive a return call and was not scheduled for an
appointment until someone else called and said he would be coming to
the appointment with me.  Needless to say the Parenting without sight
booklet went with me to my first visit and I insisted that everyone in
the office read it.  My doctor would now be one of my biggest
advocates if someone were to try to take my children away from me now.
 But, I stilll cannot believe we fight these battles of incredible
misconceptions.

Best of luck to all who are fighting these battles.  I receive
strength from and and grateful that we are marching together.

Lucy