[nfb-talk] An idea, to discuss, at 2012 convention

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Sep 27 03:45:55 UTC 2011

Recently, someone asked about the provision in Washington state law which
gives some protection to blind parents facing action by state or local
government agencies attempting to take or keep their children from them due
to supposed abuse or neglect. Please go to <http://www.nfbw.org/laws.html>
and you'll find a direct link and short explanation of Washington state's
provision. It doesn't cover accusations by vindictive spouses trying to use
blindness as a wedge to inflict mental anguish on the blind spouse during
divorce proceedings -- I saw no way to adequately address this without
opening a can of worms. But it *does* force agencies seeking to take
children from blind parents to justify their actions on the basis of actual
evidence of real abuse or neglect rather than trying to justify their
actions on the basis that blindness in and of itself can be presumed to
result in abuse or neglect. To date, it has been effective and I know of one
case where the blind parent's lawyer was able to parlay it into a court's
stopping the worst aspects of a vindictive spouse's behavior. I suppose it
was on the basis that even if the reprobate tried to use blindness as a
whip, the state agency wouldn't have been able to act arbitrarily.

I haven't looked at Maryland's law but, as I say, the law in Washington
state is simple and seems to have worked.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington