[nfb-talk] O&M Instructor, two Positions, Sacramento
dandrews at visi.com
Tue Aug 21 09:58:22 UTC 2012
Job Title: Orientation & Mobility Instructor II
Reports to: Daily Living Skills Team Lead
Society for the Blind is currently seeking qualified candidates to
fill a position of Orientation & Mobility Instructor II. Our mission
is to empower individuals who are blind or have low vision to live
productively and independently by building confidence through
training, tools and mentorship. Society for the Blind is a 501c3
organization serving Northern California, with a focus on Sacramento,
Placer and Yolo counties.
General Description: The essential function of the job is to teach
clients how to maneuver and utilize Orientation & Mobility aids,
methods and services intended to assist in the development of the
client's independence and personal skills.
1. Provide instruction in Orientation & Mobility to clients using
the standard methods and techniques of the long cane.
2. Instruct clients in the use of certified low vision and
electric mobility aids.
3. Provide instruction in problem solving, direction finding and
structured discovery of the travel environment.
4. Orient clients to their physical environment through maximum
development and utilization of their remaining senses.
5. Conduct training on city streets. Instruction is to include,
but not limited to the use of public transportation, escalators,
elevators, revolving doors and other features found in traveling.
6. Prepare tactual and auditory maps and instruct clients in their
* Evaluate clients' functional, physical and mental capabilities,
as related to mobility and orientation.
* Determine individual clients' need for physical conditioning.
* Stay current in areas of responsibility.
* Address and conduct workshops for interested groups as requested.
1. Maintain thorough, complete and timely ongoing weekly and
monthly record keeping of client services; including, but not limited
to case notes, lesson notes, evaluations, progress reports, and correspondence.
Team building and Networking
* Present client issues to supervisor and contribute to ongoing
problem solving of such issues while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
2. Consult with other professionals, family members or other
appropriate parties regarding the progress and problems of the clients.
3. Participate in individual case conferences and confer regularly
with program staff on multi-disciplinary service team concerning
client's program and adjustment to blindness or vision loss.
* Maintain positive and professional relations with counselors of
Department of Rehabilitation and other agencies as well as Society
clients, staff, and volunteers.
* Coordinate effective client service with third-party
counselors, such as Department of Rehabilitation.
* Attend all staff and department meetings
* Adhere to all Society policies and procedures
* Obtain training to enhance job requirements
* Other duties as required
1. A minimum of two years working experience.
* Master's Degree in appropriate field.
* Applicants must be graduates from either:
O&M programs sponsored by the U.S. Rehabilitation Services
* Certification/certifiability from one of RSA approved
certifying bodies required
* Excellent writing skills- English grammar and usage.
* Excellent verbal communication skills.
* Good computer skills. MS Office programs- Word, Excel, and
Outlook & Internet Explorer.
Submit cover letter and resume by email to Diane Starin, Daily Living
Skills Team Lead at
<mailto:dstarin at societyfortheblind.org>dstarin at societyfortheblind.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
Application's deadline: Until the position is filled.
More information about the nFB-Talk