[nfb-talk] Att'n. South Carolina members & friends: Special opportunity concerning CRPD treaty

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 10:47:07 UTC 2012

Attention, blind and visually impaired residents of South Carolina.

In the wake of the news this week concerning the failure of the senate to
ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities and the
resignation of Sen. Demint at year's end, there may be an unforeseen
opportunity for progress on the issue of disability rights worldwide.  Time
is of the essence on this matter.

As you may know, Gov. Haley will be appointing a senator to serve until a
special election in 2014.  As organizations we cannot endorse particular
candidates, but as individuals we can certainly make our feelings known.

You may wish to inform her of your concerns about the failure of the treaty
to pass, which was based on misinformed paranoia, and that she would do well
to appoint a senator who would favor restoring America's rightful place of
leadership concerning the expansion of freedom and human dignity.

This important UN treaty will surely be brought up for a vote again in the
new Congress.

This time the state of South Carolina could be on the cutting edge of civil
rights, rather than being behind the times and against the flow of history.

As a person from outside the state, my influence would be very limited, but
as residents your voices are more effective in taking up our common cause.

Please urge your fellow citizens including others in the disability
community to voice these concerns.

Bill Outman

Daytona Beach, Florida