[nfb-talk] [Blindtlk] Refusal To Use A Cane

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 18 02:11:26 UTC 2012

Dear Sheila,

This has been a common misconception about the NFB and I am a dyed in the
wool NFB er.
It was the NFB that convinced me that I needed to learn "the Skills of
Blindness" and gave me this great  confidence and feeling of independence I
enjoy today.
It was the great people I met in the NFB that showed, me through their own
great examples, just what a good Blind person could be like.
It took some time, on my part, to come around to the NFB way of thinking,
but it was the journey that sold me and turned me around.
I was blessed to be chosen for Leadership training and when to the National
Center in Baltimore for an experience that changed me and empowered me.
I remember talking to Doctor Ken Jernigan about a paper he was writing about
"the Nature of Independence."
He read it to our leadership class, called the "Wiggly Worms" and I told him
that I thought that it was the best description of what determines if we are
independent or not.
The real test of your independence is " do you have the power to choose and
determine what you will do , no matter what method you use.
This was the same speech he gave at the National Convention that year.
I did not carry a cane when I joined the Federation.  It was watching other
NFB members, using good cane skills and traveling everywhere as they wished,
that convinced me that I needed to change my ways and do what the successful
Blind people were doing.
I learned my O and M skills and started carrying a cane everywhere and
without shame.
I was a cane driver for over 25 years and I was exposed to more things,
including guide dogs and the differences in traveling with a cane and a
guide dog.  I still keep my canes skills up, but I use a guide dog now and
it works for me.
I have now been a guide dog user for 4 years and it is just another way to
travel for me.
There are pluses and minuses with canes and dogs.  You just have to pick the
things you will put up with and the things you won't.
For right now, I like the pluses with the dog, but know that in the past, I
would not have picked the dog over my cane.
Things change in our lives and sometimes the choices we make do too.
I hope that you will become more involved in the NFB and maybe some day we
may meet at a convention.
Right now I need to feed my guide dog Jack and clean up some.
Have a Happy Holidays.

David Evans and GD Jack.
Palm Beach County Chapter President
NFB Florida