[nfb-talk] Credit cards

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 19:32:41 UTC 2012

Hi,
If you know what print feels like, you can even read the card number by
feeling it, because it is raised on the card along with the expiration date.
The only thing I cannot read by touch is the three-digit security code on
the back, although I can sometimes trace it with a stylus and decipher it,
but sometimes I have to just ask someone to read that part. I then Braille
the information on a card or keep it in an encrypted file in my computer.
Usually, I only need to access the information the first few times, and then
I end up memorizing it, so after a while I don't even have to look at the
file, but it is good to have in case you do forget it.
As far as knowing which card is which, the way the expiration date lines up
with your name that is embossed on the bottom of the card is different
depending on the company. My Bank of America Visa debit card has the
expiration date centered just above my last name and centered evenly above
it without sticking out to the right, while my Master card has it more
sticking out to the right above my last name, so that is how I differentiate
between them, although that could vary depending on which bank you use. If I
have more than one card with the same placement of the expiration date, I
just feel the beginning numbers of the card number to see which card it is,
because you can tell by reading the card number.
I think that credit and debit cards are easier to keep up with due to the
embossed print, although ID cards and store customer cards are more
difficult, because they have no embossed print, so it may be easier to put
Braille labels on them to identify them or just put them in separate wallet
pockets in a certain order, which is what I do. I think it is easier to keep
Braille on ID's and store cards, because they don't always have to be
scanned by a reader, so the Braille may not get in the way. I can still get
them confused sometimes, because my student ID, state ID, Costco Membership
Card, and other store discount cards all feel exactly alike, so I have to
put them in a certain order or put labels on them. . My EBT card also has
raised print and has no expiration date and a longer number, so I can tell
that apart from my other cards.
Hth,
Misty