[nfb-talk] Inaccessible appliances!

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Feb 21 03:35:58 UTC 2012

Joshua,

There is nothing illegal at this point about selling inaccessible appliances.  That is the reason it has been one of our issues at the Washington Seminar for
the past couple of years.

Having said that, though, it is possible that your parents microwave can be made to work for you.  Unlike many touch screens, most microwaves seem to
have actual buttons that require some pressure to be activated beneath the flat panel.  If this is the case, one can place labels using clear labeling tape
on each button.  Our last three microwaves have been of that design, and while I would rather have real buttons, the labeling with clear labeling tape has
worked well.

You mentioned having trouble with with dots sticking.  Be sure to clean the surface and make certain it is completely dry before you stick anything to it.  If
your labeler doesn't work and you don't have a labeling slate or something, you could still label with labeling tape by using some different shapes.  For
example, you could do the numbers making small squares but rotating the 45 degrees so they would be diamondds making them feel different than the
other buttons.    Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson.