[nfb-talk] Inaccessible appliances!

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 21:31:37 UTC 2012

Hi Joshua,

The Federation is currently working on a bill that would make it
illegal for companies to release home appliances without
accessibility being built in.  This bill is called the Home
Appliance Accessibility Act, and it was one of the issues at this
year's Washington Seminar.  However, this bill has only been
written up by the NFB, and has not yet been introduced into
Congress.  As to the microwaves, I've never heard of the Cook
Magic, but there is an accessible microwave out there called the
Hamilton Beach; you could probably buy this at a WalMart or
online.  Also, you can put Braille labels on your family's touch
screen microwave so you know which buttons are which; that's what
I did with our touch screen microwave.  You'll need a reader to
tell you what the buttons are labelled as, then where each one is
(so you can put the appropriate Braille label in the right place
on the screen,) but you should be good from there.  Hope this
helps!

Chris

Chris Nusbaum
Email and Google Talk/Keychat (on the BrailleNote) ID:
dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan