[nfb-talk] Best of Luck, Parnell

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:11:25 UTC 2012

Hi Mike, Joshua, and everyone,

This may be one time when I will actually agree with Mike! <Smile!> Two
people with strong opinions debating on a list full of other people with
strong opinions... makes things interesting! LOL! OK, Mike, I'll stop giving
you a hard time now! :)

Anyway, a lot of Federationists were supporting Parnell because he was a
blind guy running for Congress and doing pretty well; a Federationist in
fact. However, I want to make it clear that to the best of my knowledge, it
wasn't an official position that the Federation was taking. In other words,
NFB didn't come out and say we were supporting Parnell for Congress as an
organization. So, Mike is right; while NFB members have various political
leanings, the NFB itself, as an organization, doesn't have anything to do
with partisan politics, and isn't publicly Republican or Democratic. Joshua,
it just happens that you and I agree on a lot of things politically. But
this has nothing to do with the NFB, and the NFB doesn't have an official
political position. Dr. Maurer made this clear when he announced that
Parnell was running for Congress on one of the Presidential Releases.

Frankly, I think this thread should die before it gets out of hand. I just
don't want what happened last September on the NABS list (Joshua, you
probably know what I'm talking about) to happen to this list, or any other
NFB list for that matter, because that's not what the Federation or our
lists are for. For those of you who aren't on the NABS (student division)
list or weren't when this happened, in short, somebody posted something on
the 10th anniversary of 9/11 about remembering the people who died on that
day and doing volunteer work in your community in their memory. For some
reason I can't understand, this seemingly innocent post began a huge thread
which turned into a political debate, then descended further into what
looked to me as a "mud-slinging" fight. A lot of us tried to make it stop,
but the people who had started the political "mud-slinging" continued it, to
the point that Dave Andrews had to put our list on moderated status, which
meant that every post to the list went to him for approval, and he decided
what got posted to the list and what didn't. I don't want that to happen to
this list, so I hope we let this thread die before it gets out of control!

Thanks,

Chris