[nfb-talk] Fw: 'Blindness may rapidly enhance other senses'

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed May 16 00:32:16 UTC 2012

I agree with you completely, Ed.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Ed Meskys
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:50 AM
To: nhblind-talk; nfb-talk
Cc: blind-sf
Subject: [nfb-talk] Fw: 'Blindness may rapidly enhance other senses'

I have always believed that the sensory nerves are not improved by
blindness, but parts of the brain devoted to interpreting vision, the visual

cortex?, get reassigned to interpreting other inputs. Thus while my touch,
hearing are not more sensitive, we learn to pay more attention to the
inputs. Ed Meskys

Subject: 'Blindness may rapidly enhance other senses'

'Blindness may rapidly enhance other senses'
By ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA (ASA)
JERUSALEM POST 05/13/2012 13:48
While this theory is widely regarded as being true, there are still many
questions about the science behind it.
Can blindness or other forms of visual deprivation really enhance our other
senses such as hearing or touch? While this theory is widely regarded as
being true, there are still many questions about the science behind it.

New findings from a Canadian research team investigating this link suggest
that not only is there a real connection between vision and other senses,
but that connection is important to better understand the underlying
mechanisms that can quickly trigger sensory changes. This may demystify the
true potential of human adaptation and, ultimately, help develop innovative
and effective methods for rehabilitation following sensory loss or injury.

François Champoux, director of the University of Montreal's Laboratory of
Auditory Neuroscience Research, will present his team's research and
findings at the Acoustics 2012 meeting in Hong Kong, May 13-18, a joint
meeting of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), Acoustical Society of
China, Western Pacific Acoustics Conference, and the Hong Kong Institute of
Acoustics.

Studies have shown, in terms of hearing, that blind people are better at
localizing sound. One study even suggested that blindness might improve the
ability to differentiate between sound frequencies. "The supposed enhanced
tactile abilities have been studied at a greater degree and can be seen as
early as days or even minutes following blindness," says Champoux. "This
rapid change in auditory ability hasn't yet been clearly demonstrated."

Two big questions about blindness and enhanced abilities remain unanswered:
Can blindness improve more complex auditory abilities and, if so, can these
changes be triggered after only a few minutes of visual deprivation, similar

to those seen with tactile abilities?

"When we speak or play a musical instrument, the sounds have specific
harmonic relations. In other words, if we play a certain note on a piano,
that note has many related 'layers.' However, we don't hear all of these
layers because our brain simply associates them all together and we only
hear the lowest one," Champoux explains.

It's through this complex computation based on specific components of the
sound that the brain can interpret and distinguish auditory signals coming
from different people or instruments. The ability to identify harmonicity -
the harmonic relation between sounds - is one of the most powerful factors
involved in interpreting our auditory surroundings.

"Harmonicity can easily be evaluated using a simple task in which similar
harmonic layers are set up and one of them is gradually modified until the
individual notices two layers instead of one," says Champoux. "In our study,

healthy individuals completed such a task while blindfolded. This task was
administered twice, separated by a 90-minute interval during which the
participants conversed with the experimenter in a quiet room. Half of the
participants kept the blindfold on during the interval period, depriving
them of all visual input, while the other half removed their blindfolds."

They found no significant differences between the two groups in their
ability to differentiate harmonicity prior to visual deprivation. However,
the results of the testing session following visual deprivation revealed
that visually deprived individuals performed significantly better than the
group that took their blindfolds off.

"Regardless of the neural basis for such an enhancement, our results suggest

that the potential for change in auditory perception is much greater than
previously assumed," Champoux notes.

This article was first published at www.newswise.com