[nfb-talk] Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Comments on Belgian Euthanasia of Deaf Men Losing Sight

christopher nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 01:08:40 UTC 2013

Fellow Federationists,

Here is a press release I received today from our national office.  I'm a
bit surprised that I had not heard this story from any other news source in
this country, but I guess our media did not find this important. Thankfully
nothing of this sort is happening in our country, but it is still (at least
to me) shocking, disturbing and frightening to read this in 2013. With all
this said, here is the press release we sent out commenting on this tragic
event:

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

*National Federation of the Blind Comments on
Belgian Euthanasia of Deaf Men Losing Sight*

*Baltimore, Maryland (January 15, 2013):* The National Federation of the
Blind <http://www.nfb.org/>, the largest organization of blind people in
the United States with over 50,000 members, including many deaf-blind
individuals, commented today on the state-sanctioned death by lethal
injection of deaf twins in Belgium.  Upon learning that they were also
going blind, the deaf twins sought and were granted euthanasia.

Dr. Marc Maurer <http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>, President of the National
Federation of the Blind<http://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind>,
said: “This disturbing news from Belgium is a stark example of the common,
and in this case tragic, misunderstanding of disability and its
consequences.  Adjustment to any disability is difficult, and deaf-blind
people face their own particular challenges, but from at least the time of
Helen Keller it has been known that these challenges can be met, and the
technology and services available today have vastly improved prospects for
the deaf-blind and others with disabilities.  That these men wanted to die
is tragic; that the state sanctioned and aided their suicide is
frightening.”

The National Federation of the Blind needs your support to ensure that
blind children get an equal education, to connect blind veterans with the
training and services they need, and to help seniors who are losing vision
continue to live independent and fulfilling lives. To make a donation,
please go to www.nfb.org.

*###*

*About the National Federation of the Blind*

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and most
influential nationwide membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  Founded in 1940, the NFB advocates for the civil rights and
equality of blind Americans, and develops innovative education, technology,
and training programs to provide the blind and those who are losing vision
with the tools they need to become independent and successful.  We need
your support.  To make a donation, please go to www.nfb.org.