[nfb-talk] Leadership change at Guide Dogs for the Blind

Michael Hingson Mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Jul 15 23:54:05 UTC 2013

From: Bob Burke
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 4:30 PM
To: All GDB Employees (all sites)
Subject: Leadership change at Guide Dogs for the Blind

Dear staff,

On Monday, July 15 Bob Burke was named interim president and CEO of Guide
Dogs for the Blind (GDB). Burke replaces Paul Lopez, who has resigned to
pursue other opportunities. A nationwide search will begin immediately to
find a new president and CEO.

Burke has served on the GDB board since 2008, most recently as board chair.
As interim president and CEO, he will work closely with the full board,
staff, volunteers and the Alumni Association board. “It’s a pleasure to be a
part of such an important, world-class organization and I look forward to
serving in this interim role,” said Burke. “I’m also looking forward to
working with the board, staff and our partners on the search for a new
president and CEO.”

George Kerscher, who currently serves as GDB’s vice chair of the board, will
take on the interim role of board chair. “We’re grateful to Bob for taking
on this expanded role as we search for a new president and CEO,” said
Kerscher.

Lopez issued the following statement following his resignation:

To all staff,

I have come to the painful decision after much reflection that I am
resigning from my position as president and CEO and as board member of GDB.
In the best interest of GDB, I will work with the board as needed to effect
a smooth transition of leadership, but per the board’s request, I will be
leaving my day-to-day responsibilities effective today. I have been honored
to serve in this role and have appreciated the opportunity to lead this
great organization. Thanks to everyone for your patience, effort and support
during my time here at GDB and I wish everyone continued success. I have
learned firsthand that you all do great work and I hope that you continue to
make such a meaningful difference in our graduates’ lives. Thanks again to
everyone and good-bye for now.

Sincerely,
Paul

As a first order of business, Bob Burke and the board will be designing the
search process in the next few days. GDB will share additional information
regarding recruitment efforts as the organization develops a search
committee process and timeline; and GDB will communicate regularly with
partners, supporters, volunteers and peer organizations locally, nationally
and internationally as we conduct our search.

We look forward to continuing GDB’s important work and to announcing a new
president and CEO. Thank you again for your continued support of GDB’s work
and mission.

Sincerely,
Guide Dogs for the Blind Board of Directors

Guide Dogs for the Blind
Creating successful partnerships for 70 years!
Celebrate the remarkable bond between humans and dogs.
Your generosity can change someone's life!

Give online at www.guidedogs.com/donate today!

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
mike at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Thunder Dog, and check on Michael
Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle