[nfb-talk] Jimmy Kimmel Video--Blind Ref

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 14:49:32 UTC 2013

I'm totally with you Mark.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Tardif" <markspark at roadrunner.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] Jimmy Kimmel Video--Blind Ref

This could be a cool opportunity.  I think sometimes there is a delicate
line between something that is really meant to be funny and something that
can be taken as offensive.  I think one of the important points to consider
is that the reason many of us might be angry over something like this is
that we think it plays upon stereotypes about blind people that we are
trying to educate the sighted public about.  And I think, whether we like it
or not, a lot of people see entertainment as a kind of education.  In other
words, people who don't know better will take this kind of entertainment and
believe the stereotypes it portrays, which is a setback for us.  On the
other hand, I have worked with perfectly intelligent people who did not have
these negative stereotypes about blind people, people who treated me very
much as an equal, who expected me as a coworker to take responsibilities
like everyone else on the team, and they wondered when Mr. Magoo presented
problems for us, what the fuss was about.  And it occurred to me that these
particular individuals obviously knew better than to use this kind of
strange entertainment to educate themselves about blind people, they just
saw this as entertainment, not a means of education.  This causes me to
wonder if maybe we don't give our sighted friends enough credit for having
the intelligence to sort out the absurd from reality.  So, after all this, I
really don't know where I stand regarding this video.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.