[nfb-talk] Guide Bots

Joshua Lester JLester8462 at pccua.edu
Tue May 28 15:30:10 UTC 2013

I like this!
Try telling this to Dr. Kurzweil!
Thanks, Joshua
From: nfb-talk [nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] on behalf of Michael Bullis [bullis.michael at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:24 AM
To: NFB Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfb-talk] Guide Bots

I've been thinking about a new travel device lately and would be interested
in any feedback members might have.

I've been wondering lately if there is enough reasonably priced portable
processing power available to make a guide bot.

>From looking on the web there are a few projects, mostly not very efficient
ones.  There is a company called nst that is working on it but expects to
bring a product to market in the 2020's.  The reason most projects are so
difficult is that they are spending inordinate amounts of time and money
teaching the guide bots to climb stairs and fully "lead" the blind  person.
We know this is unnecessary.

If you remove the necessity to "lead" the blind person the project becomes
much simpler.

The device doesn't need to climb stairs.  The blind person can simply lift
it up or down.  This assumes of course that it is a lightweight  device.

For example, suppose you have a two wheeled device with two forward facing
cameras  and a handle on it that you direct.  You push the device down the
sidewalk let's say.  When it detects an object that you should go around, to
the left, the left wheel has a brake on it.  When the left brake engages and
slows the left wheel, the device naturally turns that direction.  The same
thing happens if you want to go right.  If there's a curb coming, both
wheels slowly engage their brakes.

At any time, if you as the person in charge wish to override the braking,
you simply give a quick shove to the device.

The blind person provides the forward motion, eliminating any need for
motive power.  The only thing the device needs power for is processing and
braking.

Whether verbally, or with a small keypad, you tell the device what you want
it to do.  If the device is going to talk to you at all it needs to be
through an open-ear earbud.  But this may be unnecessary.

I believe it would require two cameras for measuring distance and for
scanning both in front and to the sides.

In order for the device to be practical it would have to solve problems that
the cane and most dogs don't solve.  That is, it would have to detect
objects at head height.  And, it would have to be fast.  The thing that
limits a cane user in new territory is the necessity of slowing down while
detecting an object and moving around it.

I place a list of things below that are within reach of today's technology
but I'm not sure if they are within the practical financial boundaries of a
marketable device.

I thought those of you who think about matters like this might weigh in on
this and let me know.

Here is my list of things the device could do.

1.  avoiding objects-people and other interferences to the path of travel

2.  Detecting objects as high as one's head.

3.  identifying curbs and ramps

4.  recognizing intersecting sidewalks or other paths of travel

5.  finding doors

6.  locating up or down stairs

7.  locating elevators

8.  locating elevator buttons

9.  finding restrooms

10.  finding empty urinals

11.  finding empty seats on busses or in conference rooms

12.  returning to an already found seat

13.  finding a bus stop

14.  finding a specific address

15.  following an indicated person

I'd be interested in feedback on this idea.

If you wish to write me off-line, do so at

mbullis at imagemd.org

Thanks for your thinking.

Mike