[nfb-talk] Guide Bots

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed May 29 15:48:44 UTC 2013

The problem is that there's no money in it. Guide dog schools get their
money via donations. But they spend tens of thousands per dog. You could
probably save a lot of money with a bot but how are you going to get
anyone to pay for it? Maybe if you already had a working unit you could
get some backing.

Also, you can forget about the physical design problems. Those are
nothing. Writing software to recognize an obstacle (much less a curb) is
your real problem.  That's a project bigger than something like nvda or
orca.  You'd have to recruit some comp sci Ph.D students to write some
grant  proposals and make it their Ph.D wproject.

I agree with you about forgetting about steps. Although, that's not as
small a thing to give up as you might think.  But it is way too hard of
an engineering project. At the very least, that problem can be left for
later models.  Get it working for sidewalks and curbs first.

 >I've been thinking about a new travel device lately and would be
interested in any feedback members might have. I've been wondering
lately if there is enough reasonably priced portable processing power
available to make a guide bot. From looking on the web there are a few
projects, mostly not very efficient ones. There is a company called nst
that is working on it but expects to bring a product to market in the
2020's. The reason most projects are so difficult is that they are
spending inordinate amounts of time and money teaching the guide bots to
climb stairs and fully "lead" the blind person. We know this is
unnecessary. If you remove the necessity to "lead" the blind person the
project becomes much simpler. The device doesn't need to climb stairs.
The blind person can simply lift it up or down. This assumes of course
that it is a lightweight device. For example, suppose you have a two
wheeled device with two forward facing cameras and a handle on it that
you direct. You push the device down the sidewalk let's say. When it
detects an object that you should go around, to the left, the left wheel
has a brake on it. When the left brake engages and slows the left wheel,
the device naturally turns that direction. The same thing happens if you
want to go right. If there's a curb coming, both wheels slowly engage
their brakes. At any time, if you as the person in charge wish to
override the braking, you simply give a quick shove to the device. The
blind person provides the forward motion, eliminating any need for
motive power. The only thing the device needs power for is processing
and braking. Whether verbally, or with a small keypad, you tell the
device what you want it to do. If the device is going to talk to you at
all it needs to be through an open-ear earbud. But this may be
unnecessary. I believe it would require two cameras for measuring
distance and for scanning both in front and to the sides. In order for
the device to be practical it would have to solve problems that the cane
and most dogs don't solve. That is, it would have to detect objects at
head height. And, it would have to be fast. The thing that limits a cane
user in new territory is the necessity of slowing down while detecting
an object and moving around it. I place a list of things below that are
within reach of today's technology but I'm not sure if they are within
the practical financial boundaries of a marketable device. I thought
those of you who think about matters like this might weigh in on this
and let me know. Here is my list of things the device could do. 1.
avoiding objects-people and other interferences to the path of travel 2.
Detecting objects as high as one's head. 3. identifying curbs and ramps
4. recognizing intersecting sidewalks or other paths of travel 5.
finding doors 6. locating up or down stairs 7. locating elevators 8.
locating elevator buttons 9. finding restrooms 10. finding empty urinals
11. finding empty seats on busses or in conference rooms 12. returning
to an already found seat 13. finding a bus stop 14. finding a specific
address 15. following an indicated person I'd be interested in feedback
on this idea. If you wish to write me off-line, do so at
mbullis at imagemd.org Thanks for your thinking. Mike
nfb-talk at nfbnet.org