[nfb-talk] Some Job Questions...

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 23:12:28 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone:

I am considering applying for some jobs and had a few questions.
Antians Pretzels (a pretzel place in the mall) is looking for "crew
members." I have been told this means someone to make the pretzels and
serve them to the customers, and someone to likely run the register
and take the pretzel orders.
There is a restaurant called Panara Bread (a popular sandwich chain)
opening soon in my area and they are hiring for all positions.
I am considering applying at these places.
Is there any way a blind person can run a cash register?
Is there actually anything I could do at these places as a blind
person or will they immediately look at my blindness and turn me away?
I won't go into full details on a listserve, but I am trying to turn
my life around and one of the ways I thought I could do this was to
find a simple job that would give me confidence, something to do, and
to show me that I can in fact work.
I'll admit, this is my first time applying for a job. If I apply, and
they ask me to come in for an interview, and they say something like
"So, what can you do?" if I'm not sure myself what I can do how do I
respond?
In the past I've just made the excuse that because of my blindness
there is nothing I could do when looking for jobs and just given up
but if I want to turn things around I have to do something and
applying for jobs is one of the things I can think of to do.
Thanks,
Kerri